Sunday, June 5, 2011

Timber Timbre at The Vogue

This was my first visit to the The Vogue and it is quite a spectacular spot to listen to some music. Sound was great and it has that big theatre feel which brings a nice level of mystique to a show. This was the third time seeing Timber Timbre. Last saw him last year at the Vancouver Folk Festival. They recently released Creep on Creepin on, to much more fan fare then I expected. I suppose with the backing of the big label, Arts and Crafts, and with such a unique sound that it was bound to develop a strong core of fans.

Timber Timbre did not overwhelm me the first time I saw him and would have to say it was much the same this time. There is no doubt that there is nothing quite like him right now in Canadian music but his music somewhat blends into one song when you see him live. They tend to draw out the endings to some songs and he uses many of the same techniques throughout the performance. There is a shift in the new tunes with more back-up electric guitar than lapsteel and more back-up keyboard over violin, and this allows for a larger sound on many songs, but ultimately it is very similar.

Although I was underwhelmed (may have been slightly due to seeing the great Jenny and Johnny show three nights before ), the bands talents were still evident and he did give me a couple of chills with his vocal range on some of his better songs. ‘Black Water’ and ‘Demon Host’ were my particular favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment