Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dan Boeckner gives me the (divine) fits

I have always struggled with Wolf Parade. There are times when their music really does it for me, and yet, there are times I find their sound is cringeworthy and unlistenable. Due to my fondness of some of the tracks on Expo 86 I decided to listen to a bit more of their music. I came to find out that they have duality to the band where Dan Boeckner and Spencer Krug split the creative, and singing, responsibilities. After "What did my lover say" became my official anthem of 2010, I started wondering if maybe Krugs singing, who brings the thunder in that track, was what was really doing it for me in Wolf Parade and maybe it was Boeckners voice which was the turd in the bowl of beautiful sound.
I decided that the best way to test out if I was firmly planted in Camp Krug and not Camp Boeckner was by searching eachs own respective sideproject, Krugs Sunset Rubdown and Boeckners Handsome Furs. This plan of attack left me more dumbfounded as Sunset Rubdown barely garnered a second listen from me and I would find myself grooving to Handsome Furs.
So recently with the discovery of Divine Fits, Boeckners newest supergroup formed with Spoon frontman Britt Daniel, I was intrigued to see what I thought. Ive really enjoyed the A Thing Called Divine Fits album and I have decided to not compare Daniel vs Dan in the song categories but just enjoy it.
It will be a great summer for me if I get to see these guys as much as it looks like I will right now. They are in the lineup for Sasquatch, which I just bought tickets for, in the lineup for Pickathon and Squamish Valley Music Fest, which I might just buy tickets for.

No comments:

Post a Comment